Week 1 of Preseason gave us an idea of how things will look come Week 1 of the regular season, but the starters weren’t in for that long. We should expect the starters to have a bit more playing time, and that will give us a better idea of what to expect. We can then take what we learn from Week 2 to into Week 3, and confirm our beliefs by taking a look at the first team in extended play. Week 3 will give us the most information, but we should have some context this week to really know what to look for. Here are a few things I’m looking for this week.
Dolphins/Ravens – Thursday 7PM EST
- Who will Jay Cutler favor in his first game? Will Jarvis Landry be the guy, or will he do what he did in Chicago under Gase and target his outside receivers? Will he continue to target the running back and tight end? We should take note of his tendencies.
- Will Terrance West get all of the early down work with the first team? Will Woodhead or Buck Allen replace him at all on those early downs?
Bills/Eagles – Thursday 7PM EST
- Who is Tyrod going to favor now in his brand new receiving core, now that Sammy Watkins is gone?
- Will LeGarrette Blount get all of the first team work on early downs? Who will it be on third down?
- Who will Carson Wentz favor with his brand new receiving core?
Bucs/Jags – Thursday 8PM EST
- Will Cameron Brate be the one primarily running with the first team? Reports were that OJ Howard will be primarily blocking to start the year.
- How is Jacquizz Rodgers looking? Will he do enough to justify using him as a workhorse throughout those first three games without Doug Martin? This could turn into a timeshare in those first three games.
Vikings/Seahawks – Friday 10PM EST
- How is Dalvin Cook looking? Did that offensive line look better than they did in the first game?
- How involved is Adam Thielen?
- How will Eddie Lacy look with the first team while Rawls is out for the game?
Panthers/Titans – Saturday 3PM EST
- What does the split between Jonathan Stewart and Christian McCaffrey look like?
- Who is Mariota favoring and how are the receivers lined up? Is it Eric Decker? Or is it still Rishard Matthews?
- DeMarco Murray is expected to play, so how will he look coming off of his hamstring injury?
Chiefs/Bengals – Saturday 7PM EST
- Will Spencer Ware get all of the first team work, or will someone like Kareem Hunt get some work with the ones?
- Is the rapport between Alex Smith and Tyreek Hill on display again? How involved is Hill?
- Is Jeremy Hill still getting most of the first team work, or will Joe Mixon come in and take a little more work away from him? Also want to see how Mixon looks in his second game.
Colts/Cowboys – Saturday 7PM EST
- How does the Colts offensive line look without their best offensive lineman, center Ryan Kelly?
- Will Darren McFadden get all of the work again for the Cowboys with the first team, or will Alfred Morris steal some work? He was on the field on all of the first team’s 19 snaps in Game 1.
Jets/Lions – Saturday 7:30 PM EST
- Is Robby Anderson still the WR who’s getting the most field time, and the one that both McCown and Hackenberg are targeting the most?
- Is Bilal Powell going to play, and how does he look?
- Does Kenny Golladay crack the starting lineup? He did play with the 1’s in practice on Wednesday. Who is Stafford looking to target?
- Is Ameer Abdullah getting all the early down work, or is Zenner stealing some of it?
Packers/Redskins – Saturday 7:30 PM EST
- How will Jamaal Williams look with the first team while Ty Montgomery is out for the game?
- Is Rob Kelley getting all of the early down work? Is Samaje Perine in the dog house or is he getting a chance at the #1 gig?
- Where is Kirk Cousins looking to throw the ball? He likes to spread it out, but still want to get an idea if he really likes going to Pryor or Crowder.
Patriots/Texans – Saturday 8 PM EST
- Who will get goal line carries for the Patriots?
- Is Dion Lewis getting more work than James White?
- Is Tom Savage capable of carrying a decent offense?
- Is Lamar Miller playing an every down role with the first team?
Rams/Raiders – Saturday 10 PM EST
- Is Todd Gurley playing all three downs with the first team?
- Is Jared Goff looking at Sammy Watkins at all?
- Who looks better between DeAndre Washington and Jalen Richard?
Broncos/49ers – Saturday 10 PM EST
- Is CJ Anderson getting all of the work on all three downs with the first team?
- Is Carlos Hyde still getting all of the work on all three downs with the first team? Who’s running behind him?
- Is Pierre Garcon getting targeted a few times by Brian Hoyer?
Bears/Cardinals – Saturday 10 PM EST
- Is Cam Meredith being targeted a bunch again? Tough start to preseason schedule for Mike Glennon, facing the Broncos starting D and now the Cardinals starting D.
- Is Ryan Hooper being used as the primary tight end? Is he running a lot of routes?
Falcons/Steelers – Sunday 4 PM EST
- Is Martavis Bryant going to play? How does he look? He’s been cleared to participate in preseason and was listed as a starter on the Steelers depth chart.
- Can we identify a handcuff for Leveon Bell, or does it look like a committee?
Saints/Chargers – Sunday 8 PM EST
- Is Ted Ginn still running opposite Michael Thomas in 2-WR sets? How often do we see Willie Snead on the field?
- How are the Saints using their running backs?
- Is Melvin Gordon still getting spelled with Branden Oliver? It seems like Oliver is a part of the first team’s game plan.
- Is Tyrell Williams on the field for all the first team snaps?
Giants/Browns – Monday 8 PM EST
- Will Paul Perkins have a better performance? Will Orleans Darkwa get any work with the ones? Will Vereen maintain his third down role?
- Monitor how the Browns use Isaiah Crowell and Duke Johnson. Crowell played on 4 of 6 third downs in Week 1, while Duke lined up in the slot. If this continues, both RBs get a bump in value. The idea before this was that Crowell would only play on early downs, while Duke only plays on third down and passing situations.
- Is Kenny Britt or Corey Coleman the WR to own in Cleveland?